Thursday, March 3, 2011

The Mustard Seed











(For Fr. Joseph A. Galdon, SJ)

Along Katipunan Avenue
I hustled to take the jeepney
Could not remember what day or time it was
I have my pen and paper ready
You said, “Take your test first.
Remember to take deep breaths
and just answer the questions you
know first. Do not linger . ..
I tremble and took it
awash in sweat and sun
in the may summer there…
I met Cymbelline and Luisa
I took my seat
in the far north of the room
checking my compass
confirming my feng shui as if it mattered
Done in two and a half hours
I flagged Fr. G at the hallway
He patted me at the back
“How was it?”
I finished. I answered them all
Good. I expect you to be here soon
I hope so
He winked
The following week
He called and said
You are welcome to sign some paperwork
Come at 9 am tomorrow
I was there bright and early
Sitting down on the park bench
Across the Rizal Library
I fidgeted and smoke a drag or two
I saw Luisa who smiled back
Are you coming?
Oh, are you going there too?
Of course, common!
Inside the English Department
I saw Cymbelline and some others
in the green room of Fr. G
His Grecian nostrils in full flair
You ladies wait
As I sign up Bernard ok
He put on his double wide lens
his Parker pen…
As I await my turn
He hugged me and said
See you are not only good in numbers
also in letters
I tearfully remember him
Reading his autographed
piece entitled, “The Mustard Seed”
mssives he wrote
advising me on how to coach
my students at Marianas High
back in the 90s
He said to be patient…persevering
I remember my Palauan student
Jackie who gave me a postcard
from Hawaii
graduated with honors….
I recall the days I was teaching
English Literature and Composition
as well as dealing with Jostens
in the Yearbook…
Oh… Fr. G…
As I sit down in the park bench
along Rizal Library
last January before you said farewell
I know you are here
with me , in me
as the effervescent wind
and trees danced
I know you see
I hear you believe
I listen you heard
I wanted to continue
the legacy
the inspiration
the word
the mark is indelible
The Mustard Seed
no time , no man
no catastrophe, no cause
can obliterate it
It is you
alive in this world
now in the realm of the divine
knowing the unknown
among the unknowable…
I create. I awe. I create
I know God is here
as much as you are.
The Mustard Seed …

No comments:

Post a Comment