Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Narra

As snow melts into rivers
and rain runs into the fields,
your eagle-spread branches
stared sky-high into the sun.

I could see you from a distance.
providing shade to the children.
learning how to rhyme and reason
to write and to rue their lots.

It was in this enclave
that you remain in mystery.
You are over 50 years old now.
My boy, yet you were not
afflicted with scoliosis
as well as disoriented by Alzheimer’s.

I see your brown rings
as well defined as possible,
your green mane as bushy as ever
your body as muscular as a wrestler.

You seem to have crow’s nest or two,
as well as a balding spot, too.
But it doesn’t bother you
as these kids engrave hearts into
your tummy like temporary tattoos.

Some embellished it with blood
and tears of happiness or sorrow.
You only hated
the jagged edge of my kitchen knife.

Normally, you do not mind a nick
but be piqued by a prick
since you are so bloody sensitive.
You came from a place tropical
and warm. They call you,  “Narra”
You serve as a good shelter
and excellent source of  lumber
(not to  mention a great swinger.)

People here respect you
defer to your  majesty.
Your spirit soars into the sea
into and over the heavens.
You grow into me, I into you –
I used to see you young and vibrant.
Now, you are a bit weary but wise
Narra, my name is still etched into you.
Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment